Kim Kohn was the Lead Counsel for several gross settlements of over 50 million dollars. She is instrumental in achieving justice for her clients in many cases, including:
- Personal injury cases:
- Auto Accident – over $4,000,000.00 settlement.
- Auto accident/wrongful death 1 million
- Medical malpractice cases
- $2 million-development of pressure sores, contractures, weight loss
- $250, 000-development of pressure sores
- Nursing home abuse cases
- $6 million-development of pressure sores, weight loss, dehydration, infections
- $2 million-development of pressure sore, weight loss, dehydration, infections
- $1.5 million-development of pressure sores
- $1.2 million-pressure sores, weight loss, dehydration
- $1.4 million-pressure sores, dehydration, malnutrition, contractures
Lyann has also accomplished major successes in personal injury and premises liability cases, such as:
- $16.4 million verdict – premises liability/inadequate security – a young woman shot in the head in an apartment complex. The apartment complex was found liable by a jury for compensatory and punitive damages.
- $6 million verdict – wrongful death/premises liability/inadequate security – a young man was shot and killed in a parking lot for a local Club.
Lyann has handled a wide variety of criminal cases below you will find a few examples of her successes:
First Degree Murder Cases:
- State v. Travis Miller – Looking at mandatory life sentence, State of Florida Nolle Prossed (dismissed) the case
- State v. Franklin Smith – State was seeking the Death Penalty – Jury Verdict of Not Guilty
- State v. Michael Balkaran – Jury Verdict of Not Guilty
- State v. Deandre Williams – Jury Verdict of Not Guilty
- State v. Alfredo Duenas – Jury Verdict of Not Guilty
- State v. Clayton Maxwell – Looking at a mandatory life sentence received a 5 year prison sentence
- State. v. Gary Brown – Looking at a mandatory life sentence received a 5 year prison sentence
- State v. Amaury Speing – Looking at a mandatory life sentence, First Degree Murder reduced to Manslaughter and received a 6 year prison sentence
- State v. Juan Ramirez – Looking at a mandatory life sentence received a 10 year prison sentence
- State v. Brendan Terry – State was seeking the Death Penalty – 30 year prison sentence
Second Degree Murder Case:
- State v. Garibaldi was a second degree murder that the state Nolle Prossed.
DUI Manslaughter Cases:
- State v. Henry Tippins: 1- Count DUI Manslaughter; 2-Counts- DUI- Bodily Injury: -Count Leaving the Scene of an Accident with Death: He was facing 45 years in Florida State Prison- He received a ten year prison sentence. In the paper May 25, 2013.
- State v. Nicole Bailey: 1- Count DUI Manslaughter; One -count leaving the scene of an accident with death. She was facing 20 years in prison. She received supervision.
- United States of America v. Milko Masullo: He was charged with trafficking in marijuana the Judge granted a Rule 29 ( Judgment of Acquittal) at the close of the government’s case.
- In her first case as a defense attorney, her client was charged with first degree murder, a jury found her client not guilty within 10 minutes of retiring with the case.
- In a case in which her client was charged with first degree murder for selling heroin which resulted in the death of the buyer Lyann is able to get the case reduced to Manslaughter and the client sentenced as a Youthful Offender to probation.
- Client found not guilty in first degree murder case in which the state was seeking the death penalty. The state presented the following evidence which allegedly implicated the client: Nuclear DNA which concluded that client’s sperm was located on victim’s shirt within 1 in 57.2 trillion people; client’s fingerprints on victims car; mitochondrial DNA which concluded that client’s pubic hair was intertwined with the victim’s and client’s taped statement to law enforcement.
- Client charged with first degree murder was found not guilty in gang related shooting death.
- Client charged with first degree murder in which the state presented eye witness testimony and a confession receives and accepts a ten year offer after jury hangs 10 to 2 for not guilty.
- Alleged terrorism charges dropped and client agrees to return to Morocco.
- Lyann convinces judge to throw out the bulk of the incriminating evidence in a notorious case in which client was charged with the first degree murder of her six year old son and the attempted first degree murder of her eight year old son.
- Lyann was instrumental in negotiating the cap of three years to an open plea for a young teacher charged with the hit and run death of two children and injuring two other children. The teacher subsequently received a non incarcerative sentence.
- Lyann successfully argues for federal Judge to dismiss charges against man accused of operating a Marijuana Grow House after the Government rested its case.
- Lyann spear headed a joint defense team, conducted 95% of the depositions, wrote the Motion and argued the hearing which resulted in all charges being dismissed against 23 defendants in the Latin King Racketeering case.
For more information on Goudie & Kohn’s legal triumphs, visit our Newsroom page.
The results received by Goudie & Kohn, PA are based upon a number of factors. Each result is specific to the facts and circumstances of the case and are not guarantees that every client’s case will have the same or similar result.