Tampa Falling Incidents Attorney
Tampa Nursing Home Abuse Attorneys Serving Clients in Fall Incident Cases
As people age, they become more susceptible to falls and to fall-related injuries. There are many factors that contribute to a person’s risk of sustaining injuries in a fall, including physical weakness, malnutrition, certain medications, and other factors that often exist among elderly residents of nursing homes and assisted-living facilities. The most important thing for families to remember is that falls are completely preventable with proper care and monitoring. No older adult in a nursing home should be in a position to sustain a fall-related injury. When falls do happen, they often result in debilitating injuries that can increase a senior’s risk of additional physical harm and depression.
If your elderly loved one recently suffered a fall in a nursing home in Florida, it is essential to discuss the situation with a Tampa falling incidents attorney who can provide you with more information about filing a nursing home neglect claim.
Common Causes of Falls Among the Elderly in Tampa Nursing Homes
According to the National Council on Aging (NCOA), falls are currently the leading causes of both nonfatal and deadly injuries in the elderly. The U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) emphasizes that falls are one of the most significant threats to a senior’s health.
The following are common causes of falls in nursing home and assisted living facilities in Florida:
- Muscle weakness;
- Heart disease;
- Low blood pressure;
- Medication side effects;
- Poor lighting;
- Lack of bed rails;
- Lack of handrails on stairs, in showers, or elsewhere;
- Lack of walking aids;
- Poor vision;
- Illnesses that affect a person’s balance;
- Slippery flooring;
- Rough carpeting or flooring;
- Shoes that do not fit;
- Poorly maintained wheelchair;
- Poorly maintained stairs; and
- Cluttered walkways.
Getting the Facts About Falls and Older Adults in Florida
The NCOA cites the following statistics about falls and older adults:
- Approximately one out of four, or 25 percent, of people aged 65 and older will fall every year;
- Falls are the number one cause of deadly injuries among seniors;
- Fall-related injuries are the leading cause of hospital admissions for older adults;
- Each year, falls lead to more than 2.8 million injuries and more than 800,000 hospitalizations;
- More than 27,000 people sustain fatal injuries in falls each year;
- Falls result in an elderly adult receiving treatment in an emergency department every 11 seconds;
- Every 19 minutes, an elderly person dies as a result of a fall;
- Financial tolls of falls are extremely steep, totaling about $50 billion in 2015;
- By 2020, experts predict that the financial costs associated with fall-related injuries will rise to $67.7 billion.
Contact a Nursing Home Abuse Attorney in Tampa About a Falling Incident
The Tampa nursing home abuse and neglect lawyers at Goudie & Kohn, P.A. are committed to helping seniors and their families to seek compensation for injuries resulting from nursing home abuse and neglect. It is important to understand that falls are not a normal result of aging, but rather incidents that happen because of negligence.
If your elderly loved one suffered injuries in a fall, you should learn more about your options from a Tampa falling incidents attorney. An advocate at our firm can get started on your case today. Contact Goudie & Kohn, P.A. today.